City Shaper Coach Email Volume 11- 9/24/19 Kickoff Workshops Start Tonight!
Greetings Coaches! Welcome to CITY SHAPER!
If you are new to this email this is the place where you will find all of the Washington specific FIRST LEGO League information. Coaches and team administrators in the FIRST system for the CITY SHAPER season will be added weekly. Starting this season, every email from me will be numbered. That number lets you know which update it is, if you miss an update you can find it on our website.
I have 5 items for you today-
1. Online Kickoff Workshops Start Today!
2. Spokane Kickoff Event 9-26
3. Registration Closing Soon! Register Now!
4. FIRST Washington’s DEI Workshops
5. Facebook Group for Coaches
Kickoff Workshops Online!
This season we are moving our kickoff event to an online format. All coaches are welcome to attend! The sessions will be twice a week at 7pm. Click on the link to register!
Tuesday, September 24th at 7pm- Programming- register here
Thursday, September 26th at 7pm- New Coach Information- register here
Tuesday, October 1st at 7pm- Robot Game- register here
Thursday, October 3rd at 7pm- Judging- register here
Tuesday, October 8th at 7pm- Fundraising- register here
Eastern Washington Kickoff Event in Spokane
Save the Date! There will be a kickoff event in Spokane on September 26th From 5:30 to 7pm at Girls Scouts of Eastern Washington and Northern Idaho, 1404 N Ash St, Spokane. It will be in the Gym. RSVP Here
Registration is Closing Soon so Register Now!
Registration for new and returning teams is open now! Registration will be closing soon, so register now before our region is full.
Returning coaches can log into your account at: www.firstinpires.org. There you will have the opportunity to register your teams for another year. Please look at the notifications in the upper right corner and take care of the consent and release and required profile updates.
New coaches can start a team at this link: https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/fll/start-a-team
*A note on registration. They did add the option to opt out of the challenge set for those registering multiple teams that don’t need multiple sets, but there is no way to buy the challenge set at a later time. If you opt out you WILL NOT be able to go back and order one separately.
FIRST Washington’s DEI Workshops this fall!
With FIRST Washington’s commitment to equity and access, we are pleased to partner with three of our FIRST Robotics Competition teams to host half day workshops for all coaches, mentors and volunteers. We have a professional DEI facilitator, Tareena Joubert joining us for these days.
The goal of these workshops is to support our communities, coaches and mentors in welcoming all students. Part of the success in recruiting students is broadening our base of coaches/mentors and volunteers who look like students. Helping FIRST broaden our base of adults to include more women, persons of color, diverse professional backgrounds will help us position FIRST programs as inclusive and welcoming to all. Please join one of these workshop by signing up today to learn some tips and tools on how you can assist!
The Saturday 9/28 and Saturday 10/5 workshops have been rescheduled for later in the year. Stay tuned for more information!
1. Saturday, November 16th, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., Environmental Learning Center, Point Defiance. Thank you SOTABots, FRC team 2557 for hosting! RSVP here.
Facebook Group for Coaches
One of the best ways to get questions answered is to connect with other FIRST LEGO League coaches.
Join our private Facebook group for Washington FIRST LEGO League coaches only. New and Veteran coaches and our Regional Head Referee are members of the group. Use this link to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/FIRST.Washington.FLL/
Please note: you will be asked a couple questions when you join, these are to help keep this group only open to coaches. It will speed up the joining process if you answer these when you apply.
- September 24: Online Programming Workshop
- September 26: Online New Coach Workshop
- September 26: Spokane Kickoff
- October 1: Online Robot Game Workshop
- October 3: Online Judging Workshop
- October 8: Online Fundraising Workshop
- December 7&8: Qualifier Tournaments
- December 14&15: Qualifier Tournaments
- National Team Registration, Youth Protection, Student Registration, Challenge Information:
email@example.com or www.firstinspires.org
- Tournament Registration & Participation, Local Information, Facebook:
Jacque Grimm, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Robot Game Questions:
WA Regional Head Referee, Kevin Torrico, email@example.com
FIRST Game Questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fundraising, Grants, Advocacy:
FIRST Washington President, Erin McCallum, email@example.com
- Booster Accounts (setup or using funds), Invoices and Payments:
FIRST Washington Accounting, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Past Coach Communications: https://firstwa.org/Team-Resources/FIRST-LEGO-League-Team-Resources/Communications-Questions-2019-20-Season
- City Shaper Challenge: https://www.firstinspires.org/resource-library/fll/challenge-and-resources
- FIRST Steps: http://info.firstinspires.org/fll-first-steps-request
- Youth Registration Overview: https://www.firstinspires.org/resource-library/youth-team-member-consent-and-release-form