How can I find a FIRST® LEGO® League Explore team to join?
Washington State has around 200 FIRST® LEGO® League Explore teams each year. Teams are formed in schools, community organizations, and neighborhoods. They can be formed by any interested adult willing to facilitate team logistics.
Within Washington, many FIRST® LEGO® League Explore teams are formed through schools, so the first place to look for opportunities to join a team is with your child’s school. Generally, the school-based teams are open only to students attending that institution because interest often exceeds capacity. If your child’s school does not currently have a team, you may want to work with a teacher or administrator there to help form a team within the school.
Other Washington teams are formed through community organizations such as 4-H, YMCA, Scouts, or Boys & Girls Clubs. Generally, this is only one of many activities that the organization facilitates for its members, but if your child is interested in one of these organizations overall, this might be an avenue to pursue in your local area.
The remaining teams in Washington are formed through homeschool groups, religious organizations, or neighborhood groups of friends. While these groups are not specifically closed to other students, they do not usually engage in recruiting members.
Since finding an opportunity with an existing team may be difficult, many experienced coaches and parents advise families new to the program to start their own team. The benefits to your child and for those who have an opportunity to participate are well worth the effort. If you need additional resources or encouragement, contact us at FIRST® Washington.
How long is the FIRST® LEGO® League Explore season?
The FIRST® LEGO® League Explore season opens in May, but teams can register throughout the year. Teams typically meet for 6-10 weeks and then participate in a FIRST® LEGO® League Explore Festival hosted by FIRST® Washington or hold their own in their local community.
How old does my child need to be to join a FIRST® LEGO® League Explore team?
The FIRST® LEGO® League Explore program is designed for young people ages 6 – 10 and 2 – 4 grades.
What are the FIRST® LEGO® League Explore Core Values?
We express the FIRST® philosophies of Gracious Professionalism and Coopertition through our Core Values:
- Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
- Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
- Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
- Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
- Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
- Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!
As a parent of a younger FIRST® participant, you will have to register your child through the FIRST® Team Dashboard. You will receive an email from your team’s lead coach inviting your child to join, from there you can register them! The short registration process will need to be done every year your child is a part of a FIRST® team.
We want to make it as simple as possible to excite the students about their futures, so all you need to do is the simple registration! Parents are welcomed and encouraged to get more involved in their child’s team, but it is not required. If you would like to be involved, contact your child’s coach.
- BOOMTOWN BUILD Coach Email Volume 7- 11/14/19 Expo Registration and Status! Expo Invoice Update!
- BOOMTOWN BUILD Coach Email Volume 6- 10/28/19 Expo Registration Link Inside!
- BOOMTOWN BUILD Coach Email Volume 5- 10/24/19 Partial Expo Schedule Posted! Expo Registration Info!
- BOOMTOWN BUILD Coach Email Volume 4- 9/10/19
- BOOMTOWN BUILD Coach Email Volume 3- 8/8/19 Challenge Released and Other Info
- For more information, contact: