How do I register my team for FIRST® Tech Challenge?
You begin the two-level registration process with national FIRST® registration. When you complete the short process (around 20 minutes) and pay your registration fee, you will receive:
– An official team number
– Coaches’ Handbook
Fee: $275 per season
Once your team is registered with FIRST® nationally, the coach or team representative must register with FIRST® Washington, your local organization. Washington registration opens in September.
Fee: $925 per season
You can find these steps to register on the Get Started page on this website.
Students must register themselves in the team profile each year, to create a network between all competing members, and to ensure all the necessary paperwork is completed.
Who can coach a FIRST® Tech Challenge team?
Teachers, parents, and technology professionals all make excellent coaches. The coach must be 18 years or older and should have the desire to explore side-by-side with students and have good communication, prioritizing, and multitasking skills. The coach’s role is to facilitate instruction and optimize the learning experience of the team members by allowing independent thought. Direct adult involvement or intervention during the problem-solving process is strongly discouraged.
Coaches handle all the operational details: where and when to meet, organizing help for snacks, team costumes, etc. Coaches do not need technical expertise, but must be willing to acquire some basic knowledge of the program.
What is the FIRST® Youth Protection Program (YPP)?
The purpose of the FIRST® Youth Protection Program (FIRST® YPP) is to provide Coaches, Mentors, Volunteers, employees, others working in FIRST® programs, team members, parents, and guardians of team members with information, guidelines, and procedures to create safe environments for everyone participating in FIRST® programs.
The FIRST® YPP sets minimum standards recommended for all FIRST® activities. Adults working in FIRST® programs must be knowledgeable of the standards set by the FIRST® YPP, as well as those set by the school or organization hosting their team.
FIRST® expects all teams in the United States and Canada to adhere to all provisions of the FIRST® YPP.
FIRST® Tech Challenge welcomes you into our community of teachers, students, coaches, mentors, and volunteers. Our curriculum is adaptable to every kind of teaching environment and is ready for you.
You’re the one who can bring the excitement of robotics into your school and possibly change the direction of your students’ careers and lives. What’s happening in STEM tomorrow is happening now at FIRST® Washington.
- FIRST Washington Coach Email 8/12/21 New FIRST Washington Registration
- FIRST Washington Coach Email 8/17/21 Clarification on the New FIRST Washington Registration
- FIRST Washington Event Safety Standards for Coaches & Mentors
- Freight Frenzy Coach Email Volume 1 7/16/21 – Boeing Grant & In person off season event July 23rd
- Freight Frenzy Coach Email Volume 2 7/22/21 – Message from our Director of Finance
- Freight Frenzy Coach Email Volume 3 9/1/21 – Lots of important information in this email.
- Freight Frenzy Coach Email Volume 4: 9/7/21 – General event Schedule for the season.
- Freight Frenzy Coach Email Volume 5: 9/13/21 – OSPI Grants are open.
- Freight Frenzy Coach Email Volume 6: 9/21/21 – Please register your team!
- Freight Frenzy Coach Email Volume 7: 9/28/21 – Register, register, register!
- For more information, contact: