Freight Frenzy Coach Email Volume 16: 1/6/22 – Coaches chat and judge training (technology side) tonight!
Greetings Coaches & Mentors!
If you are new to this email this is the place where you will find all of the Washington specific FIRST Tech Challenge information. Coaches in the FIRST system for the FREIGHT FRENZY season will be added weekly. Every email from me will be numbered and that number lets you know which update it is, if you miss an update you can find it on our website.
Here is what I have for you today:
- Dean’s List Submissions
- Interleague Info – Look closely at your judging dates
- Practice Judging Session this week and Coaches Chat judging training session starts at 6:30 pm tonight. Students are welcome to join at 7 for the training.
|Interleague||Leagues Attending||# of teams||Robot Competition Date||Judging Date||Judging Time||Virtual pits/Deliberations Date||Virtual Pits time|
|Agnesi (Remote)||Agnesi||9||Jan 9-15||1/14/2022||6-9 pm||1/15/2021||10-11 am|
|Curie||Hopper/Turing||17||1/15/2021||1/12/2022||6-9 pm||1/14/2022||6-7:30 pm|
|Feynman||Babbage/Knuth||21||1/15/2021||1/13/2022||6-9 pm||1/14/2022||6-7:30 pm|
|Pasteur||Brattain/Bardeen||21||1/15/2021||1/13/2022||6-9 pm||1/14/2022||6-7:30 pm|
|Tesla||Salk/Spencer||22||1/16/2021||1/15/2022||9am – 12pm||1/15/2022||1-2:30 pm|
|Watt||Lovelace/Maxwell/Shockley||28||1/15/2021||1/12/2022||6-9 pm||1/13/2022||6-7:30 pm|
Dean’s List Submissions
We are aware that teams still aren’t able to submit their Dean’s List nominations. We are actively working with FIRST on it and hope it gets resolved, we will extend the deadline if necessary as a result. We will send an email blast to coaches once the problem has been resolved.
Interleague information is listed on the grid below. For those of you who have participated in FTC in past years, this year will be a bit different. Some things to note:
- Judging will happen prior to the robot competition day
- Most judging sessions will be in the evening during the week prior (see below for specifics)
- Your team needs to attend the virtual pit sessions! In a normal year, the judging would be in the morning and judges would come around to the pits in the afternoon to ask follow up questions based on the judging sessions. This is the opportunity for them to do that so please make sure your team is online for their virtual pit session
- The system will not allow us to assign judging times until all judges are assigned, so make sure to keep the entire judging window open until you find out your assigned judging time
- The robot competition day will be much shorter. Come prepared to get inspected and start matches fairly quickly
We are in need of volunteers for all of these events!
- If you volunteered in a trained role (ex: scorekeeper, referee etc) please consider volunteering for that role at the Interleague event
- Because judging happens before competition play this year, you are encouraged to judge at an event. NOTE: please sign up for an event that your team is not competing at. Judging is a great way to better understand the process and help your team become stronger when it comes to the judging process.
Practice Judging Session and Coaches Chat
There is now an event in the scoring system called “Practice Penguin” that you can use to practice for your judging session. (Please ignore the event titled WA Remote Team Practice Judging Event)
If one of the two lead contacts for the team log into the scoring system at https://ftc-scoring.firstinspires.org/ they’ll see an event named “Practice Penguin” under the “Remote Events” header (screenshot attached). That event should have a “Judging” button, which when clicked has the same interface as the actual judging will have for their interleague event. There they can upload documents for judging as well as find the link to send to their students to use for the judges interview.
That link will load them into a lobby where teams will wait until the judges let them into the main interview space. For the purpose of the practice event we WILL NOT be doing interviews at the specified time, but this allows teams to practice loading into the lobby and test out their software prior to the interleague.
We will also be having a Coaches Chat & walk through of judging with the scoring software starting at 6:30 pm Jan 6. The coaches chat portion will be from 6:30 – 7:00 pm and the judging information/training portion will start at 7:00 pm. Feel free to invite students to the judging portion.
General FIRST WA Zoom Account is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: FTC Coaches Chat
Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime
Join Zoom Meeting:
Meeting ID: 838 4669 4396
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,83846694396#,,,,*128537# US (Tacoma)
+13462487799,,83846694396#,,,,*128537# US (Houston)
Dial by your location
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 838 4669 4396
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdj51hKBaa
Have a wonderful holiday everyone and see you next year!
FTC Program Delivery Partner
Director of Programs