Power Play Coach Email Volume 15: 11-28-22 – Inclement Weather Policy
Greetings Coaches & Mentors!
If you are new to this email this is the place where you will find all of the Washington specific FIRST Tech Challenge information. Coaches in the FIRST system for the Power Play season will be added weekly. Every email from me will be numbered and that number lets you know which update it is, if you miss an update you can find it on our website.
Here is what I have for you today:
- Inclement Weather Policy & plan, please read!
- Make sure you are prepared for your events
- Call for volunteers the next 3 weekends
- Dean’s List nominees need to be submitted by Dec 15
Inclement Weather Policy
The weather this coming weekend may present some challenges (or may be no problem at all considering our weather changes so rapidly, hope for that!) So I want to address our Inclement Weather policy and what resources you all have to find out if your event is still running as normal.
Because we run so many events at the same time, we let our event hosts determine if an event will need to be modified or cancelled as a result of weather conditions. Our hosts have the best information as to what things are like at the event site and we ask them to make decisions based on safety at the event location. As coaches, you will know what the conditions are like where you are leaving from and you will need to determine if you feel it is safe for your team to travel to an event.
- If your event is held and you miss it, there will be no make up. You will move on to your Interleague events with the scores from your matches in your first league event.
- If your event is cancelled due to weather, we will make every effort to reschedule it prior to your Interleague Championship event but with the tight turnaround, It may not be able to rescheduled. We will work with FIRST to create a plan that is as equitable as possible but it may not be perfect.
To make things as convenient as possible for all of you, we have put a list of all events (both FLL & FTC, scroll to the bottom for FTC) on the front page of our website here: https://firstwa.org/ We have asked our hosts to notify us by 6 am the morning of their event if there will be a change. The website will be updated for teams and volunteers by 6:15 am the morning of your event. Please check it before you leave for your event if at all possible.
Make sure you are prepared for your event
I’m sure you have all received emails from your league coordinators talking about your event this weekend and reminding you what to bring. Just a few additional reminders:
- Your registration fee must be paid to participate. If you still have an outstanding balance, you received an email from me yesterday. Please pay your invoice today.
- You need to bring your roster to every event so please print it off, add any paper consent forms for students not listed electronically on the roster and turn it in at your event
- You need to have two coaches listed (Lead 1 & Lead 2) and through ypp to participated so make sure your dashboard shows that both coaches have passed ypp
We are looking for volunteers for our upcoming FTC and FLL events
We are still looking for Judges for many of our upcoming FLL and FTC events around the state. Here are the events with the greatest need for judges:
- FLL Tri Cities Qualifier, Saturday 12-3
- FLL Northwest Arlington qualifier, Saturday 12-3
- FLL South Sound Tacoma qualifier, Sunday, 12-4
Judges need to be a minimum of 17 years old and should NOT be closely affiliated with any team competing at the event.
There’s no professional or training background required to be a Judge, volunteers of all backgrounds are welcome!
Dean’s list nominees need to be submitted by December 15
We will be having a remote Dean’s List Remote Interview event in January. Students must be nominated from your firstinspires dashboard. The portal closes the 15th of the month prior to when the interviews will happen so make sure to get your nominees in right away!
Have a fantastic week everyone!
FTC Program Delivery Partner
Director of Programs