Rapid React Coach Email Volume 11: 10-12-21 – Event Preferencing opens Thursday
If you are new to this email this is the place where you will find all of the Washington specific FIRST Robotics Competition information. Coaches in the FIRST system for the RAPID REACT season will be added once teams are able to register for events. Every email from me will be numbered and that number lets you know which update it is, if you miss an update you can find it on our website.
Here is what I have for you today:
- Event Preferencing opens this Thursday, October 14
- Make sure your team is Event Ready so you can enter your preferences
- Grant Deadlines
- Washington & Oregon teams: Fill out the FIRST Washington Registration form by Oct 29 to be considered for a Grant from FIRST Washington & ORTOP
- Washington public school teams: Fill out the iGrant by November 8
- Next FRC Coaches Chat Oct 21
- FTC Tuesday’s with Kevin (Yes we know this is FRC)
Event Preferencing opens This Thursday, Oct 14
At 9:00 am this Thursday, you will be able to log into your dashboard and rank your event preferences. Here is a guide that will help you understand (or remind you) how event preferencing works.
Reminder, you are guaranteed a spot in your home event as long as you preference your home event during the first preference window. Pick your home event as your only choice and select to be on the waitlist for that event.
Once the first preferenceing window is over, you are no longer guaranteed a spot in your home event so make sure to pick it the first time around.
You must select your event preferences prior to 9:00 am Oct 20th
Make sure you are event ready so you can participate in preferencing on Thursday
In order to participate in event preferencing on Thursday, you need to have both your main and alternate contact sign their consent forms & have passed ypp. Check this now! You can do this by logging into your dashboard and looking at your outstanding tasks.
- Washington & Oregon Teams: All teams need to fill out the FIRST Washington Registration form to participate in the PNW FRC District. To be considered for a grant, please fill out the registration form by October 29th. Click here to fill out the FW Registration form.
- Washington Public School Teams: If you are a public school, you can apply for an iGrant. The deadline to submit an application is November 8. Contact your school admin to find out how to apply for this grant.
Our next FRC Coaches Chat will be Thursday, Oct 21 at 7:00 pm
We will talk about:
- What teams should do for their second event preferencing window
- Talk about our latest COVID policy updates (coming this week)
To join our coaches chat click here
FTC Tuesday’s With Kevin 5:00 – 6:30 pm every Tuesday
This year Kevin is plans to organize various topics for his Tuesday afternoon workshops and we plan to post those topics and descriptions at the end of our regular team blast. Here is the information for the this weeks Tuesday’s with Kevin!
On 10/12/21 at 5pm FTC Tuesdays with Kevin will be designing an arm for this year’s game. Starting with just a base design, we will consider options using a CAD program. We will determine the limits of the arm, consider some construction ideas. We will also how to calculate the loads, motor torque, and hopefully end up with a full arm design in about 45 minutes. This can be a useful exercise for your team.
On 10/19/21 at 5pm, FTC Tuesdays with Kevin will be talking about FTC judging and the FTC Engineering Portfolio vs the Engineering Notebook. If you want to do well at FTC judging, come hear about how the process works. Find out about how you can generate a good impression with the judges. You will be able to ask questions to a FTC World Judge Advisor.
Here is the link to join the meetings. The link will stay the same from week to week. Feel free to forward this info to the students & mentors on your team!
Important Dates & Deadlines
Oct 14: FIRST Event Preference Window opens 9:00 am
Oct 20: FIRST Event Preference Window closes 9:00 am
Oct 21: Second Event Preference Window opens 9:00 am
Oct 21: FRC Coaches Chat
Oct 27: Waitlist teams either moved off the waitlist or contacted
Oct 29: FIRST Washington registration deadline for teams wanting a grant
Nov 8: OSPI Grant closes (WA public school teams)
Have a great week!
Director of Programs