RePLAY Coach Email Volume 7 9/22/20 FLL Webinar recording posted. iGrant open!
If you are new to this email this is the place where you will find all of the Washington specific FIRST LEGO League information. Coaches and team administrators in the FIRST system for the RePLAY season will be added weekly. Every email from me will be numbered and that number lets you know which update it is, if you miss an update you can find it on our website.
I have 4 items for you today:
- FLL Webinar posted online. Recurring meeting scheduled.
- iGrant is now open!
- Current plans for the 2020/2021 season
- Amazon Cyber Robotics Challenge!
FIRST LEGO League Webinar posted on firstwa.org. Recurring meeting scheduled.
The slides and recording from the webinar on 9/10 are posted here- https://firstwa.org/first-lego-league-challenge/resources/
We will be hosting a recurring webinar monthly on the second Tuesday each month. Our next one is on 10/13. Link will follow in my next email.
iGrants are now open!
I know many of you have been watching and waiting; iGrants have opened and are available to any team affiliated with a public school. Please contact your building admin to find out more about how to apply for an iGrant. The deadline to submit a grant for your building is Monday, November 2nd. After your grant is submitted, it will need to be approved by your district so don’t wait until the last minute to apply!
Current event plans for the 2020/21 season
- Our current plan is to leave registration open until the beginning of January
- We don’t plan to start running events until the end of February at the earliest.
- Based on the information we have at this time, we plan to run fully remote events in the spring though we will monitor things throughout the year and if it is safe in some areas we could move to in person events. At this time, however, you should plan on competing remotely.
Like everyone else, we are trying to make plans while hitting a moving target. It would help us know how to support you if we understand what your plans and your challenges are. If you could take a brief moment to fill out this survey we would be so grateful! I know several of you have already filled this survey out, thank you!
Amazon Cyber Robotics Challenge!
We know that back-to-school is exceptionally challenging this year and keeping students engaged and inspired is top of mind for all teachers. Try out this free, 3-hour virtual challenge to teach your students the power of coding while uncovering how Amazon uses computer science and robotics daily to deliver customer orders.
The Amazon Cyber Robotics Challenge is free, open to anyone, and recommended for grades 4 and up. Register students with your unique class codes to track and celebrate progress throughout the challenge.
Meet Ashley and Abakir, two Amazon Future Engineer Scholarship recipients, as they introduce this year’s challenge. They will guide students through the challenge and speak about their own computer science journeys.
The challenge can be broken into four 45 minute or three 60 minute lessons for any class (Intro to CS, AP CSP, science, math, etc). Review lesson objectives, agendas, and all materials to prepare for great in-person or virtual instruction.
Complete the challenge with your classroom by December 18, 2020, and be eligible to win $250 for your class. Each month from August- December, Amazon Future Engineer will raffle off five $250 gift cards to classrooms that have completed the challenge and final survey with at least 12 students. Want more information? See here for all details.
Learn more at AmazonFutureEngineer.com
- October 13: FLL Webinar
- November 2: iGrants close
- National Team Registration, Youth Protection, Student Registration, Challenge Information: firstname.lastname@example.org firstinspires.org
- Tournament Registration & Participation, Local Information, Facebook: Jacque Grimm, email@example.com
- Robot Game Questions: WA Regional Head Referee, Kevin Torrico, firstname.lastname@example.org
- FIRSTGame Questions: email@example.com
- Booster Accounts: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Invoices and Payments: FIRSTWashington Accounting, email@example.com
Thank you all for your patience, flexibility and grace during this time!
Senior Program Coordinator