ULTIMATE GOAL Coach Email Volume 18 3/17/21 – Lots of info in this email, please read!
Greetings Coaches & Mentors!
If you are new to this email this is the place where you will find all of the Washington specific FIRST Tech Challenge information. Coaches in the FIRST system for the ULTIMATE GOAL season will be added weekly. Every email from me will be numbered and that number lets you know which update it is, if you miss an update you can find it on our website.
Here are the updates I have for you today:
- We need more judges for our upcoming events
- Recordings from both the coaches chat and remote event 101 zoom meetings are posted online
- Remember, we have scrimmages happening so you can test how to run your event remotely.
- Zoom meetings next week
We need judges in March, April & May
Because of COVID, we have moved to a remote event format for all programs AND moved the season for our FTC & FLL programs so they are competing in March, April & May this year. Because of the overlap, we could use help from all of you to pass along our volunteer needs to your parents & mentors.
Currently we need judges for all of our events. The judging commitment is just a Saturday only commitment, you are not expected to commit to the entire event week. Here are the dates of our FLL Qualifiers in March:
Saturday, March 27 (FLL) – Still need some judges this Saturday
Saturday, April 3 (FLL) – We have 2 events this week so really need judges!
Saturday, April 24 (FLL) – Still need lots of judges
Saturday, May 1 (FTC) – Have 3 events this week so really need judges!
Saturday, May 8 (FTC) – Still need judges
One great way to become a better coach is to sit in the judge room and see what goes on behind the scenes. Even if it is for a different program, you learn so much and it is a lot of fun too!
Apply to volunteer today!
- Login to the Dashboard (http://my.firstinspires.org/Dashboard/)
- Click the Volunteer Registration tab & click ‘Volunteer at an Event’
- For FLL & FTC: Filter events by program (FLL Challenge, Discover, FTC) and
- filter by State and choose WA
- For FRC: Filter events by program (FIRST Robotics Competition) and
- For traditional FRC awards (Dean’s List & Chairman’s), search for “Pacific Northwest District Awards Event”.
- For At-Home Challenges type the name of the challenge you are interested in (e.g., Game Design Challenge).
- Note that all events show NH as that is where FIRSTHQ is located, all judging is remote.
- Select the judge role
- Complete your required youth protection background screening(applicable every 4 years) and the Privacy and Data Handlingtraining
Recordings from both the 3-9 coaches chat and 3-11 Remote event 101 zoom meetings are posted online
If you did not have someone in attendance at our 3-9 coaches meeting, I strongly recommend you take a look at the video. We talked a lot about what the scoring system looks like and how the events will work. To view either recording listed above, click here
Remember, we have scrimmages scheduled both this week and next week for you to familiarize your team with the online tools to upload your scores
Teams are not required to run scrimmage matches but it is HIGHLY recommended to make things easier for you once your competition window opens. To find out how to access the scrimmage events, check out the recording from the 3-9 coaches chat.
Zoom meetings next week:
Our next Coaches Chat: Tuesday, March 23 at 7:00 pm
Remember, this is the adults chance to ask questions about the first league event that starts on March 31. Because we are not giving a presentation, we will likely not record this session. The value is really in attending and becoming part of the dialog so please try to have at least one coach attend this session.
Our first Drivers meeting: Thursday, March 25 at 7:00 pm
This is supposed to mimic the driver meeting that happens at the event. Coaches, please forward this information to your students. We don’t have easy access to the student contact info which makes it difficult for us to get this type of info out to students. Adults are welcome to attend but please keep yourself on mute to allow our students to ask questions.
The link below will work for both meetings:
Topic: FTC Coaches Chat & drivers meeting
Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 838 4669 4396
One tap mobile
+12532158782,,83846694396#,,,,*128537# US (Tacoma)
+13462487799,,83846694396#,,,,*128537# US (Houston)
Dial by your location
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 436 2866 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 838 4669 4396
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdj51hKBaa
Take care and have a nice evening everyone!
FTC Program Delivery Partner
Director of Programs